Today T-Mobile stores in opened at 8 am nationwide to start selling the new T-Mobile G1 made by HTC and powered by Google Android OS. T-Mobile’s downtown San Francisco store became the first in the country to sell the G1 phone Tuesday evening. Around 150 buyers lined up to buy the G1 phone ahead of its launch at one of T-Mobile’s stores in San Francisco.
T-Mobile issued a limited number of FREE “I was the first to get it” t-shirts.
Other freebies at the launch included a 4GB memory card for the first 100 T-Mobile G1 buyers and a raffle draw offering $1000 and a free phone to a winner.
Also, tomorrow will be an software upgrade for the G1. Already? this is a small update.
Here’s some info in FAQ format:
- What does this update do? This update will include enhancements (I don’t know what is termed an “enhancement” and one bug fix that is visible to customers which makes all songs from Amazon available for listening
- Why do I need it? So your device will perform better long term and you don’t have to worry about corrupt files from Amazon.
- When will I get mine? If you participated in the PreSale, you will receive it between the 23rd-25th otherwise you should get it by 10/31. For those receiving their devices after that date you should receive the update soon after you activate the phone (within 2 – 3 days). New phones from HTC will come pre-loaded with the update.
- What if I don’t get mine? Just wait for it, it will come.
- What do I do when I haven’t gotten mine by the time you said I’d get mine? Wait a little longer
- Seriously, I didn’t get mine. Where is it and when will I get it? Why am I missing out? Check your software version, you probably had the new software all along and were waiting for nothing.
- How do I check my software version? From the main screen hit Menu > Settings > About phone > Build number. Look for where it says RC## The initial release is RC19. The Updated release is RC28
- Will I lose any applications or settings? Nope. Your settings and apps should be preserved.
- Also, you should receive a notification, alert message, or otherwise when the update is ready for your phone. You will be asked to either accept the update or be reminded later. For those with Sidekicks, this experience should be similar to updates you may have seen in the past.That’s all for now. I know details are light to non-existent. If I can gather more, we’ll certainly post it. If we can’t get more details on this one, I’ll be sure to express everyone’s desire for more info on future updates.