Samsung today, via its Twitter account, confirmed that the new Galaxy S II for T-Mobile will feature a 1.5 Ghz Dual core Qualcomm Processor and not the Exynos found in the Sprint and AT&T versions that will run at 1.2 dual core.
Qualcomm’s processor is compatible with the MDM8220 modem, the Exynos processor is not. Now, that doesn’t necessarily mean that 42Mpbs HSPA+ is 100% certain, it’s not, but it’s definitely a good sign.
But what is the difference? How good is the Qualcomm APQ 8060 processor?
• Unrivaled system performance with new dual-core Scorpion CPU architecture offering industry first speeds up to
1.5GHz per core.
• The MSM8x60 incorporates an asynchronous dual-core SMP micro-architecture. Unlike synchronous dual-core SMP designs
where both cores must run at the same frequency and voltage when operational, the dual-core Scorpion asynchronous power
design provides independent clocking and voltage per core, allowing each to work independently. This highly efficient design
provides substantial power savings over traditional SMP technology by intelligently adjusting performance to suit the needs of
• Improved web browsing and network connectivity with HSPA+ modem supporting high speed data rates up to 14Mbps.
• AP only option for devices that do not require cellular modem connectivity.
• Full multimedia experience with 1080p HD video and Dolby™ 5.1 audio.
• Snapdragon’s fully embedded custom Adreno™ 220 GPU for MSM8x60 firmly establishes Qualcomm’s leadership
position in advanced mobile graphics for smartphones and tablets. The low power Adreno 220 GPU adds console quality,
stereoscopic 3D graphics performance to mobile gaming for new exclusive titles such as “Desert Winds”. The Adreno 220 GPU
is designed to provide the MSM8x60 with ample 3D graphics performance to accelerate the next generation of customized 3D
user interfaces for Android and other mobile operating systems, as well as full support for websites based on Flash & WebGL
frameworks. Augmented Reality applications also benefit from the best in class GPU acceleration of the Adreno 220. Adreno
development tools and an Augmented Reality SDK and may be downloaded from Qualcomm’s developer website.
• Designed to support advanced security options including platform, content and storage memory protection.
- Secure MSM™ provides encrypted boot, operation and file security
- Digital Rights Management provides encrypted playback of OMA and Windows Media content
- Trustzone™ enables mobile payment and conditional access as well as protection of storage media
• Improved Navigation and location-based services using upgraded gpsOne Gen 8 engine with increased tracking sensitivity
• Designed to support up to 16MP cameras and comes with fully integrated image signal processor (ISP).
- Dual Camera Support (Hi/Lo Res)
- Fully integrated ISP with advanced imaging software, support for camcorder, stereo3D, augmented reality, and robust