Cell Phone User

City: Columbus
State/Province: GA
Referrals:
cwilliams706 is on a distinguished road
Main Cell Phone Carrier: AT&T
Main Phone: Apple iPhone 4 32GB
Default Apple Puts The Kibosh On Tethering Application For The iPhone

Yesterday, a $10 application from Nullriver appeared in the iPhone Apps Store that allowed you to use the iPhone to access the Internet via 3G and share that connection through its Wi-Fi radio. It didn't last long, however, before the powers that be at Apple squashed the application. Update! Apple un-kiboshed the app!
Ever so briefly, an application was available at the iPhone Apps Store that used the iPhone to bridge an Internet connection and a computer. In other words, a tethering app. It cost $10, and was offered by Nullriver.
NetShare used a SOCKS5 proxy to allow the computer to connect to the iPhone's Wi-Fi radio. Excited users pounced, and began downloading the application. Even though Apple had to have approved that application at some point, it caught wind of what the app could really do, and yanked it from the store.
According to a MacRumors, a Nullriver developer said, "We're not quite sure why Apple took down the application yet, we've received no communication from Apple thus far. NetShare did not violate any of the Developer or AppStore agreements. We're hoping we'll get some feedback from Apple tomorrow. Sorry to all the folks that couldn't get it in time. We'll do our best to try to get the application back onto the AppStore if at all possible. At the very least, I would hope Apple will allow it in countries where the provider does permit tethering."
What a shame.
As far as I am concerned, any 3G-capable smartphone should be able to serve as a wireless modem. I think heavy wireless data users (such as myself) would pay a premium to be able to connect to the Internet via a piece of hardware that they probably already own, rather than have to buy a separate modem built into an ExpressCard or USB dongle. I already pay for an unlimited wireless data connection, why should it matter whether I am using my laptop or my smartphone to browse the Web?
Sidekick 3, LG VX10000, BlackBerry 8130, BlackBerry 8330, Samsung SPH-a640, HTC XV6800, Apple iPhone 3G 8GB, Unlocked BlackBerry Storm 9530, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1a, Samsung Impression, Motorola Backflip, Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB, Samsung Captivate, Apple iPhone 4 16GB

Phones I've Owned Prior To Starting My Own Account:
Nokia (CellularOne), Motorola T720, Samsung SCH-a670, LG VX8100, LG VX9800, Motorola Q, LG VX8550
Old 08-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Cell Phone User

City: Kyle
State/Province: TX
Referrals:
Janice is on a distinguished road
Main Cell Phone Carrier: T-Mobile
Main Phone: Blackberry Curve
2nd Phone: SK3
3rd Phone: Pearl
Default Re: Apple Puts The Kibosh On Tethering Application For The iPhone

Whoa... I guess it's cool that they "unkiboshed" it.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Cell Phone User

City: Southern California
State/Province: CA
Poster Rank: #29
Referrals:
secrecyguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Main Cell Phone Carrier: T-Mobile
Main Phone: Blackberry 8100
Default Re: Apple Puts The Kibosh On Tethering Application For The iPhone

That SUCKS!

Why would Apple do that?!?! That's a stupid move on their part.

The only thing I could think of is AT&T wants you to spend more money in order to connect your laptop to the Internet by buying their modem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
What OS are you using on the smartphone? Please vote!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.