City: Mesa
State/Province: AZ
Poster Rank: #26
Referrals:
Galvatron is an unknown quantity at this point
Main Cell Phone Carrier: T-Mobile
Main Phone: RIM 8800
2nd Phone: SonyEricsonGC89
Default Re: Apple: Next iPhone update could break unlocked phones.

don't upgrade don't buy apple
Old 09-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Cell Phone User

City: NYC
State/Province: NY
Poster Rank: #20
Referrals:
j__1 is on a distinguished road
Main Cell Phone Carrier: AT&T
Main Phone: iPhone
2nd Cell Phone Carrier: T-Mobile
2nd Phone: T193
3rd Cell Phone Carrier: Other
3rd Phone: Linksys WIP330

I'll be sure to write that one down...

All love!
Old 09-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Cell Phone User

City: Chicago
State/Province: N/A
Poster Rank: #7
Referrals:
darkjedi is on a distinguished road
Main Phone: iphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by j__1 View Post
I'll be sure to write that one down...

All love!
Write this down Taj...I love my iphone and the new update is great, the louder volume is excellent the wifi store is amazingly quick and easy.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Cell Phone User

Referrals:

Ah but see Ellen he's on att he dosn't care hence dosn't know of the side effects.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Cell Phone User

City: Chicago
State/Province: N/A
Poster Rank: #7
Referrals:
darkjedi is on a distinguished road
Main Phone: iphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
Ah but see Ellen he's on att he dosn't care hence dosn't know of the side effects.
I'm a smart enough consumer and certainly significantly more adept at technology than those who purchased phones unlocked with the notion that a phone of this magnitude might have ramifications. I understand the business world with a much clearer understanding than those who post useless rants on lets say macrumors.com whining about Apple and their doings. The bloggers are just as bad, the poor poor consumer who took a risk and watched their "purchase" go down in smoke. I don't feel pity for those individuals, you purchased that item at your own risk. I understand with absolutism that this agreement between Apple and ATT would be honored by any means necessary and if that means a software update to ensure profit than so be it. Thats the way the world works my friend.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:14 AM
Cell Phone User

Referrals:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi View Post
I'm a smart enough consumer and certainly significantly more adept at technology than those who purchased phones unlocked with the notion that a phone of this magnitude might have ramifications. I understand the business world with a much clearer understanding than those who post useless rants on lets say macrumors.com whining about Apple and their doings. The bloggers are just as bad, the poor poor consumer who took a risk and watched their "purchase" go down in smoke. I don't feel pity for those individuals, you purchased that item at your own risk. I understand with absolutism that this agreement between Apple and ATT would be honored by any means necessary and if that means a software update to ensure profit than so be it. Thats the way the world works my friend.
if you understand why support a company that breaks the law on unlocking phones and violates att policy on buying handsets outright at invoice an are more than entitled to the unlock code? i understand the business world cause i live in it.

Last edited by Galvatron; 09-28-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:30 AM
Cell Phone User

City: NYC
State/Province: NY
Poster Rank: #20
Referrals:
j__1 is on a distinguished road
Main Phone: iPhone
2nd Phone: T193
3rd Cell Phone Carrier: Other
3rd Phone: Linksys WIP330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
if you understand why support a company that breaks the law on unlocking phones and violates att policy on buying handsets outright at invoice an are more than entitled to the unlock code? i understand the business world cause i live in it.
Can you elaborate? I'm having a challenge understanding where you are coming from. I'm sorry.... I'm not that smart.

I'm not looking for links or clips from other websites... I'm just trying to understand your thought process so we can have a conversation.

Last edited by j__1; 09-28-2007 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:41 AM
Cell Phone User

Referrals:

Quote:
Originally Posted by j__1 View Post
Can you elaborate? I'm having a challenge understanding where you are coming from. I'm sorry.... I'm not that smart.

I'm not looking for links or clips from other websites... I'm just trying to understand your thought process so we can have a conversation.
ok first off attls unlock policy is after your contrat is up or if you buy the phone @ invoce(full retail) you are entiteld to request the unlock code.

and the circumventin clauses in the DCMA ill read on a littl more but the circumvnetion clases but basicly they can't prduce softare that will damage your devece. illl lok it up for ya.

"Apple's recent decision to void warranties for folks that unlocked their iPhones may wind them up in legal hot water. The site Phone News points out that Apple appears to have broken a key warranty law relevant to SIM unlocks. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a law decades old, would seem to prevent Apple from voiding warranties in the way it is threatening to do with the iPhone, or so the site argues. 'The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that Apple cannot void a warranty for a product with third-party enhancements or modifications to their product. The only exception to this rule is if Apple can determine that the modification or enhancement is responsible [for] damaging the product in question ... The legal [questions are]: Is the SIM Unlock process that has become mainstream doing damage to iPhone? And, also, is Apple designing future software updates to do damage to iPhone when said SIM Unlock code is present?'"

a snipit of the wareny law they violated

The Act provides that any warrantor warranting a consumer product to a consumer by means of a written warranty must disclose, fully and conspicuously, in simple and readily understood language, the terms and conditions of the warranty to the extent required by rules of the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC has enacted regulations governing the disclosure of written consumer product warranty terms and conditions on consumer products actually costing the consumer more than $15. The Rules can be found at 16 C.F.R. Part 700.

Under the terms of the Act, ambiguous statements in a warranty are construed against the drafter of the warranty.

Likewise, service contracts must fully, clearly, and conspicuously disclose their terms and conditions in simple and readily understood language.

Full Warranty Requirements Under a full warranty, in the case of a defect, malfunction, or failure to conform with the written warranty, the warrantor:

must, as a minimum, remedy the consumer product within a reasonable time and without charge;
may not impose any limitation on the duration of any implied warranty on the product;
may not exclude or limit consequential damages for a breach of any written or implied warranty on the product, unless the exclusion or limitation conspicuously appears on the face of the warranty; and
if the product, or a component part, contains a defect or malfunction, must permit the consumer to elect either a refund or replacement without charge, after a reasonable number of repair attempts.
In addition, the warrantor may not impose any duty, other than notification, upon any consumer, as a condition of securing the repair of any consumer product that malfunctions, is defective, or does not conform to the written warranty. However, the warrantor may require consumers to return a defective item to its place of purchase for repair

Last edited by Galvatron; 09-28-2007 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

City: Turn Around
State/Province: FL
Poster Rank: #4
Referrals:
kinjutsu11 is on a distinguished road
Main Phone: BB Curve
2nd Phone: Apple iPhone
3rd Cell Phone Carrier: T-Mobile
3rd Phone: Nokia n81

Apple worded their warranty very carefully and have not disobeyed with any warranty laws at all. Once the firmware has been changed, Apple is no longer obligated to support the device according to those laws. Once "it has been changed to be used outside [Apple's] original intended use", it doesn't matter. Regarding the unlocks, it is legal to unlock it yourself for your own personal use, to latch onto another wireless network, but it no way is Apple forced to continue to support your device.
In their warranty, they state "This warranty does not apply: (a) to damage caused by use with non- Apple products; (b) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, flood, fire, earthquake or other external causes; (c) to damage caused by operating the product outside the permitted or intended uses described by Apple."

Regarding the DCMA laws, unlocking is intended for personal use only, and only applies to copyright infringement, not warranty claims.

All unlocked iPhone users really can do is wait til the iPhoneDev Team releases a new hack, or band together, unite, for one helluva class-action law suit.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions/views/comments are just that, MINE, no one else's, not T-Mobile's, or any other carrier, any of their dealers, or any manufacturers.
Other than that....Let's Rock!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ATT
Old 09-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

City: Boulder
State/Province: CO
Poster Rank: #2
Referrals:
Alex is on a distinguished road
Main Cell Phone Carrier: Sprint
Main Phone: U575

Geez, I'm glad I sold mine. I don't even want to mess with trying to get another software unlock.

Alex