T-Mobile Service Talk about service/reception, data plans, voice plans, features, news articles, and any other service-centric issues here!

Old 10-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Cell Phone User

City: NYC
State/Province: NY
Poster Rank: #9
Referrals:
terryjohnson16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Main Cell Phone Carrier: T-Mobile
Main Phone: Samsung E730
Exclamation "IPhone's First Round Punch Lands Hardest on Treo and T-Mobile"

I wonder how much did it affect T-Mobile:
IPhone's First Round Punch Lands Hardest on Treo and T-Mobile
Quote:
According to a new report from The NPD Group, early buyers demonstrate that the iPhone is managing to bridge the gap between content-focused feature phones and productivity-focused smartphones. NPD's iPhone Report is a top-line view of initial buyers of the iPhone, which provides insight into how Apple's entry into the market is affecting mobile phone product sales among consumers in the USA.

"The iPhone's Internet and media capabilities have resonated with consumers -- especially those who previously owned Treos and Sidekicks," said Ross Rubin, director of industry analysis at NPD. "Its advanced operating system makes it competitive with smartphones for many tasks, while its sleek design and lack of expandability is reminiscent of fashion phones."

Initial iPhone buyers were 10 times more likely than other new phone buyers to have previously owned a Treo and three times more likely to have owned a T-Mobile branded phone, such as the popular Sidekick model. Both the Treo and the Sidekick offer a physical keypad -- something the iPhone, with its touch screen-based interface, does not. In contrast, iPhone buyers were no more likely than the average buyer to have previously owned a Blackberry.

"The iPhone's lack of corporate email support appears to make it less appetizing to current Blackberry owners," Rubin said.

When it comes to carrier switching, Alltel and T-Mobile took the biggest hit from Apple and AT&T's iPhone marketing juggernaut. Consumers who switched carriers to buy an iPhone were three times more likely to switch from Alltel or T-Mobile than from other carriers. Sprint and Verizon also lost customers to AT&T and the iPhone, but not nearly to the same degree, due to their existing over-the-air (OTA) music offerings, rich video and data services and 3G networks already in place.

Surveys were received from more than 13,000 consumers who acquired mobile phones within the prior 30-day period -- among this group, more than 200 purchased a new iPhone. The data was weighted, balanced and projected to represent the total U.S. population.

Posted to the site on 15th October 2007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was started here first by me on Saturday, August 4th, 2007:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Cell Phone User

Poster Rank: #20
Referrals:
j__1 is on a distinguished road
Main Cell Phone Carrier: AT&T
Main Phone: iPhone
2nd Cell Phone Carrier: T-Mobile
2nd Phone: T193
3rd Cell Phone Carrier: Other
3rd Phone: Linksys WIP330
Default Re: ""IPhone's First Round Punch Lands Hardest on Treo and T-Mobile"

It'll be interesting to see what Google is doing.

If TMO USA and Alltel are truly taking a big hit to non-prosumers that are willing to make the jump to a 'smart' phone, future partner negotiations should be more friendly for non-telecom players. In fact, to a certain degree, many of the big carriers have to be feeling sorta desperate.

Apple, a former telco newbie, is not the only circling shark in the water. There's a TON of margin up for sale and a TON of revenue sitting on the table... And if the telecom players get out of the way, there is a ton of horizontal value to be unlocked for all. Golly gee... I love trade.

Last edited by j__1; 10-15-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Cell Phone User

City: Brooklyn
Poster Rank: #1
Referrals:
greenblood is on a distinguished road
Main Phone: HTC nexus one
2nd Cell Phone Carrier: Sprint
2nd Phone: Samsung Behold II
3rd Cell Phone Carrier: AT&T
3rd Phone: wanted: US G2

I'd say the goers should get punished, and it's done (paid $200 more)
now iPhone is unlockable, and able to be used with ALL GSM carriers
the impact against T-Mobile is minimal now
but I'd like to see the Q3 result, I guess churn rate is not that bad, but customers' growth may got hit
but Q4 will be a big bounce after 3G enabled in some markets
Nokia and HTC are likely to supply more devices for T3, moto will not do it till later next year, SE is questionable, Samsung may supply more models (T819?)

The Finest NPR Radio in NYC

who says UMTS is voice only???
nokia 6263 tethered in UMTS

Old 10-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Cell Phone User

City: Chicago
State/Province: N/A
Poster Rank: #7
Referrals:
darkjedi is on a distinguished road
Main Phone: iphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenblood View Post
I'd say the goers should get punished, and it's done (paid $200 more)
now iPhone is unlockable, and able to be used with ALL GSM carriers
the impact against T-Mobile is minimal now
but I'd like to see the Q3 result, I guess churn rate is not that bad, but customers' growth may got hit
but Q4 will be a big bounce after 3G enabled in some markets
Nokia and HTC are likely to supply more devices for T3, moto will not do it till later next year, SE is questionable, Samsung may supply more models (T819?)
I still think the iphone will have an impact on the big players for the foreseeable future. The fact that it can be unlocked simply isn't known to enough people outside of the wireless blog world and while 10% is the best guess for people buying the phone for unlocking purposes, thats still over a million people who bought it without the need to unlock. The statistics still side with ATT having an excellent holiday season with the iphone paving the way.

You still are hoping for a q4 rollout of 3g and I think right now, that rollout is a guessing game and I'd hate to see you guys get disappointed yet again when it fails to be unleashed. Instead, I'd focus on other T-mobile rumors and let the 3g be a surprise.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Cell Phone User

Poster Rank: #20
Referrals:
j__1 is on a distinguished road
Main Phone: iPhone
2nd Cell Phone Carrier: T-Mobile
2nd Phone: T193
3rd Cell Phone Carrier: Other
3rd Phone: Linksys WIP330

Quote:
...Q4 will be a big bounce after 3G enabled in some markets
Can you tell me a little bit more about your thinking here? And besides us in the nerd herd, who do you think is waiting to buy 3G from TMO vs. its competitors?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:38 PM
Cell Phone User

Referrals:

Quote:
Originally Posted by j__1 View Post
Can you tell me a little bit more about your thinking here? And besides us in the nerd herd, who do you think is waiting to buy 3G from TMO vs. its competitors?
Thats probably very true, I think there are the "nerd herd" as you so eloquently put it and probably some in the business world who stay up to date with the latest and greatest but I don't think the average T-mobile consumer has any real concern for 3g. Either they don't know about it don't care, if they did they wouldn't be with T-mobile as a provider. Certainly if 3g was a priority to as many people as some might think, the competition would be flush with new customers and T-mobile would be bleeding worse than Sprint.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:06 AM
Cell Phone User

City: atlanta
State/Province: GA
Poster Rank: #23
Referrals:
homobile is an unknown quantity at this point
Main Phone: Nokia E71
2nd Phone: T-Mobile Shadow

Yeah,I think the general population doesn't know what 3G is and def doesn't want to pay extra for it.Hopefully when T-Mo finally does release it,they can keep the prices low enough that it might actually attract people to something they don't want to pay the big bucks for.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Cell Phone User

Referrals:

I am sure T-Mobile will make a HUGE push with 3G
if 3G has better reception than existing 2G, the customers will migrate to 3G naturally, esp currently 2G 1900 signal is not strong enough

Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Cell Phone User

Referrals:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi View Post
I still think the iphone will have an impact on the big players for the foreseeable future. The fact that it can be unlocked simply isn't known to enough people outside of the wireless blog world and while 10% is the best guess for people buying the phone for unlocking purposes, thats still over a million people who bought it without the need to unlock. The statistics still side with ATT having an excellent holiday season with the iphone paving the way.

You still are hoping for a q4 rollout of 3g and I think right now, that rollout is a guessing game and I'd hate to see you guys get disappointed yet again when it fails to be unleashed. Instead, I'd focus on other T-mobile rumors and let the 3g be a surprise.
just out of curiousity
it appears you're pretty anti-T-Mobile and pro iPhone after you went to at&t
it appears I am pretty pro T-Mobile, I am still neutral
iPhone hype dies down, and our co-worker got iPhone, I see it everyday, and I'm not really impressed, not by my prejudice, but it's lacking as a phone

Last edited by greenblood; 10-16-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Cell Phone User

Referrals:

Quote:
just out of curiousity
it appears you're pretty anti-T-Mobile and pro iPhone after you went to at&t
it appears I am pretty pro T-Mobile, I am still neutral
iPhone hype dies down, and our co-worker got iPhone, I see it everyday, and I'm not really impressed, not by my prejudice, but it's lacking as a phone
As we have discussed for quite some time, again you are more concerned with what YOUR opinions are and not looking at the big picture. In your post above, you talked about customers moving to 3g for better reception. You're assuming that customers are aware that better reception is available on lower frequencies, the average consumer doesn't know that nor do they take the time to research it. Also, you are assuming that people will once again jump to purchase new handsets, remember the backlash with myfaves when people were forced to buy new equipment. Someone who is unhappy with their current reception isn't likely to buy into the notion that better reception is available and they will be more likely to change carriers when their contract is up, rather than take a chance at T-mobile again.

What I'm trying to say Matt is that I like look at things from a consumer point of view, you consider your opinion and then state is as fact and consider it the broad opinion and thats not the way to handle things.

Just because YOU don't like the iphone doesn't mean that sales will cease or that Apple will fail. The hype for that phone is still out there and ATT and Apple will still be able to ride the wave for the foreseeable future. It is a terrific product for what it does, yet its not trying to be a blackberry or a windows mobile phone. Apple is trying to create a new genre where you can be functional and simple are two qualities that the smart phone market has all but ignored. We should rejoice here, this has allowed manufacturers to consider new directions and show them that touchscreens are viable, that customers are willing to pay a little more for something they really want. America has long been the red-headed step child of Nokia, SE, LG etc because of our views as a country when it comes to pricing and technology. We're the last adopters but now for the first real time we have a product thats in demand, the last time this happened the razr debuted. That was what, almost 4 years ago. The iphone will make manufacturers think and look in new directions and I'm excited to see what they will think of next, not just to combat the iphone but to improve our daily lives.

OF COURSE I am pro-Tmobile still, I am pro ATT, I am pro all carriers. I want every carrier to succeed so we have options. I want each carrier to be turning a profit right now so they will consider new and exciting ways to increase those profits and move more customers over to their side. The success of the big 4 benefits everyone eg: we have read about Sprint coming out with their call 3 for free service. Well that came out because of the success T-mobile has had with myfaves. That's the big picture my friend.