Sprint Discuss what's happening at Sprint!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Cell Phone User

City: clifton park
State/Province: NY
Referrals:
morlin is an unknown quantity at this point
Main Cell Phone Carrier: T-Mobile
Main Phone: Motorola v330
Default Is it a mistake to switch to Sprint from TMo?

Hi all,

I have been reviewing oodles of posts here hoping to find new phones by Tmo that will fit my needs and good reasons not to switch to a different carrier to get the phone I want. I agree that getting the phone I want shouldn't be a problem [just buy it and get it unlocked, right?] but I just don't have that kind of disposable income available.

So here I am at a crossroads. I need a device that will replace my pda, my 3 yr old current phone [Motorola V300] and eliminate the cd player I carry around to play audio books. Tmo offers the wing [upgrade is $249 w/2yr extension] and is an okay solution, but not at $249!! Sprint on the other hand offers the HTC Touch [free] and the Mogul $99 with 2 yr contract after rebates. I feel like it is a no brainer - go with the phone I want and can afford regardless of the carrier, but I get the impression that Sprint sucks.

Is Sprint really that bad? I have decent coverage available according to maps and can't remember needing customer service from Tmo to use as a basis for comparison. The posts here declare that Sprint SUCKS but not really why other than customer service. Is it that they take several days to return email queries? Are they rude over the phone? Is it voice mail hell trying to reach an actual representative? Do they renege on offers? Are their usage fees not as described?

Really, if anyone could give examples of why not to go Sprint, I would greatly appreciate it. As a consumer, I hate the customer service I get virtually everywhere. I could just suck it up and add Sprint to my list. If there are real horrors involved with going Sprint, I'd like to know about them before I jump in.

tia, M~
Old 01-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Cell Phone User

City: Phillipsburg
State/Province: NJ
Poster Rank: #47
Referrals:
Rzrlvr74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Main Phone: Pearl 8100
Default Re: Is it a mistake to switch to Sprint from TMo?

I don't know how they are now, but when I had Sprint three and a half years ago, they were horrid. If you're not having any problems with them, I'd say they've improved and you're ok. My experiences were pretty much all bad. I had NO coverage where I lived ( I was lied to by the sales rep), a "spending limit" for lack of credit and huge bills. I paid an extra $5.00 a month to cut back on roaming and still had quite a few roaming charges. I would pay my bill and be turned off anyway. I would contact customer service and get some of the rudest people imaginable. It became so bad, I voluntarily paid the early termination fee to be able to go to T-Mobile. 3.5 years later I am still glad I switched. I've heard they did improve since the Nextel aqusition though. Hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Cell Phone User

City: Portland
State/Province: OR
Poster Rank: #13
Referrals:
Matt is on a distinguished road
Main Phone: HTC G2

I kind of feel that Sprint is a sinking ship. Their 4th quarter numbers are expected to be horrible, and they are going to be laying off employees very soon. They have serious customer service issue and have for years. Their data network is great and if you can get SERO it's a good deal. I still wouldn't use them because I can't tolerate the awful CS, and I like unlocked devices. The handiness of SIM cards is such a good thing for me. You will have to call Sprint because they make so many billing screw ups.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Cell Phone User

City: Brooklyn
Poster Rank: #1
Referrals:
greenblood is on a distinguished road
Main Phone: HTC nexus one
2nd Cell Phone Carrier: Sprint
2nd Phone: Samsung Behold II
3rd Cell Phone Carrier: AT&T
3rd Phone: wanted: US G2

Sprint is encountering major trouble, and expect to cut more "local" workforce, while T-Mobile is still healthy (910k net growth Q4 07)
other than Wing, you can consider nokia E51, which supports -HC cards
currently it's around $300-$350 (no contract)
get a free phone, and sell it on ebay to offset the phone cost

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Finest NPR Radio in NYC

who says UMTS is voice only???
nokia 6263 tethered in UMTS

Old 01-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Cell Phone User

City: clifton park
Referrals:
morlin is an unknown quantity at this point
Main Phone: Motorola v330

The Nokia E51 is a nice phone - I hadn't really researched it before now. Thanks for the tip. I do wish the screen could be larger -- I have gotten used to my pda screen size and dread going smaller for my spreadsheet apps. I love that it is a alternative to WM6 which dominates the market. Your idea to buy it and sell the free phone is a good idea too.

I appreciate the info re: Sprint. They do sound like a nightmare to deal with -- monthly? I can hardly believe they manage to mess up a monthly bill in this day and age. Not unless it is intentional hoping some customers will just pay without questions. I have worked for a couple of corporations that operate that way -- HORRID.

All right, I think I can consider myself well-informed. I think I'll call Sprint customer service myself, see what kind of treatment I receive and add it to my research bundle. Thank you very much to everyone who responded!

ttfn, m~
Old 01-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Cell Phone User

City: Minneapolis
State/Province: MN
Poster Rank: #3
Referrals:
Nwahs is on a distinguished road
Main Phone: SE W710i

I'll throw a word in here for ya....

For $249, the price of the Wing, you can buy a different phone on E-bay or online, that will give you a lot more for that price. Thing with is a sweet phone, and is definitely nice, don't get me wrong, but there are much nicer/better phones out there that I would look at if I were you, for T-mobile. You can buy any unlocked GSM phone and use it on T-mobile, not just what is on T-mobile's lineup online. Good luck, and hope you choose to join our family!

Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Cell Phone User

City: Brooklyn
Poster Rank: #1
Referrals:
greenblood is on a distinguished road
Main Phone: HTC nexus one
2nd Cell Phone Carrier: Sprint
2nd Phone: Samsung Behold II
3rd Cell Phone Carrier: AT&T
3rd Phone: wanted: US G2

Quote:
Originally Posted by morlin View Post
The Nokia E51 is a nice phone - I hadn't really researched it before now. Thanks for the tip. I do wish the screen could be larger -- I have gotten used to my pda screen size and dread going smaller for my spreadsheet apps. I love that it is a alternative to WM6 which dominates the market. Your idea to buy it and sell the free phone is a good idea too.

I appreciate the info re: Sprint. They do sound like a nightmare to deal with -- monthly? I can hardly believe they manage to mess up a monthly bill in this day and age. Not unless it is intentional hoping some customers will just pay without questions. I have worked for a couple of corporations that operate that way -- HORRID.

All right, I think I can consider myself well-informed. I think I'll call Sprint customer service myself, see what kind of treatment I receive and add it to my research bundle. Thank you very much to everyone who responded!

ttfn, m~
if you want bigger screen, you can consider E61 or E61i
but the reception is not good as other nokia phones
the screen is HUGE

The Finest NPR Radio in NYC

who says UMTS is voice only???
nokia 6263 tethered in UMTS