Cell Phone User

City: Columbus
State/Province: GA
Referrals:
cwilliams706 is on a distinguished road
Main Cell Phone Carrier: AT&T
Main Phone: Apple iPhone 4 32GB
Default Motorola Backflip

AT&T Mobility released their first Android powered smartphone on March 7th! At first glance, I immediately disliked the phone because of its odd appearance. Once my store received a working model, my impression of the phone quickly changed. Now I must say, it's not meant to be a phone for a "smartphone power user," but it's a nice entry level smartphone for those who wish to move up from high-end feature phones. That being said, it comes preloaded with Android OS 1.5 (I know it's getting pretty old now) along with Motorolas iconic MOTOBLUR. Contrary to previous reviews of the phone being horribly sluggish, I found the experience quite enjoyable. MOTOBLUR gives a nice touch to Android and also adds to the customization experience that stock Android already offers. The only downside is that AT&T tampered with the app layout and added some of their own software (which are basically useless and takes up precious memory). They also substituted Yahoo seach for Google search, and as of now it can't be switched back. They crippled the phone from being able to download 3rd party apps too, which is a major downside being that this was a feature of the Android OS. The 5 MP camera was sharp and produced nice, vibrant colors. Autofocus and the LED flash operate just as described. The keyboard feels nice and rugged, causing no doubt in the durability of it.
Sidekick 3, LG VX10000, BlackBerry 8130, BlackBerry 8330, Samsung SPH-a640, HTC XV6800, Apple iPhone 3G 8GB, Unlocked BlackBerry Storm 9530, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1a, Samsung Impression, Motorola Backflip, Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB, Samsung Captivate, Apple iPhone 4 16GB

Phones I've Owned Prior To Starting My Own Account:
Nokia (CellularOne), Motorola T720, Samsung SCH-a670, LG VX8100, LG VX9800, Motorola Q, LG VX8550
Old 03-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Administrator

City: small town
State/Province: TX
Referrals:
Juan M is an unknown quantity at this point
Main Cell Phone Carrier: AT&T
Main Phone: Samsung A517
Default Re: Motorola Backflip

I would be concerned with the removal of Google search (Google is cleaner) and the addition of their own software. This phone will do well with the teenager crowd.

Tags
android, at&t, att, backflip, motoblur, motorola, motorola backflip