Sprint Discuss what's happening at Sprint!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Cell Phone User

City: Orange County
State/Province: CA
Poster Rank: #8
Referrals:
chokaay is on a distinguished road
Main Cell Phone Carrier: Sprint
Main Phone: Palm Centro
Lightbulb TIP: How To UNSUBSCRIBE From Sprint's "SPRINTFREEMSG" Spam Text Messages!

TIP: How To UNSUBSCRIBE From Sprint's "SPRINTFREEMSG" Spam Text Messages!

Just like so many other Sprint customers, I have been experiencing Sprint's "SPRINTFREEMSG" Spam Text Messages for a few months now (started about 6 weeks after I signed up with Sprint) advertising everything from Sprint text messaging tips, new features, and NFL Live. (No, I did not sign up for ANY Sprint advertising or premium features that were not included with SERO, and YES I guess I am more lucky than others receiving "SPRINTFREEMSG" spam for shady websites and sexual aids.)

Calling *2 only yielded various puzzling responses by confused CSR's. (The only consistant answer being "well, once you get a spam text message, just reply STOP to it". Thanks, but I wanted a PROACTIVE solution, not a REACTIVE one. I wanted the "SPRINTFREEMSG" spam text messages to stop NOW!!!)

After lots of research on the Internet and through talking with Sprint reps failed to find any solution to this problem, I finally vowed to click on every single link on the Sprint.com website (and any affiliated Sprint websites it linked to) until I found a solution to this problem. Well, I am proud to say that after weeks of clicking, I think I finally may have found the solution:

LINK TO OPT-OUT OF "SPRINTFREEMSG" SPAM TEXT MESSAGES (I think)

I found this link at the very very bottom of a NFL Live Insider website in 4-pt font when going through the pages to sign-up for text message alerts. I used it to unsubscribe my Sprint lines, and so far I have NOT received a single "SPRINTFREEMSG" spam text message in the past 8 weeks (I don't receive any other spam text messages either, but then again I never did even BEFORE I found this site... only the "SPRINTFREEMSG" messages from Sprint). (My other friends/relatives that did not do this still received some "SPRINTFREEMSG" spam text messages during this time.)

Anyway, as a disclaimer, I DO NOT GUARANTEE this will work for any or all "SPRINTFREEMSG" spam text messages (or other spam text messages not from Sprint), NOR do I take responsibility if this doesn't work (or make things worse), but it worked for me, and I thought I would share it with the community. Here's the other fine print from the website:

Quote:
*If you are a Sprint customer, you may still receive account related messages via SMS or text message. You also will continue to receive any premium messages you have purchased outside of Sprint.
In my experience, it took about 1 week (or less) for the spam messages to stop. Hope this works for you like it did for me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chokaay; 01-16-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Cell Phone User

City: Orange County
State/Province: CA
Poster Rank: #8
Referrals:
chokaay is on a distinguished road
Main Cell Phone Carrier: Sprint
Main Phone: Palm Centro
Default Re: TIP: How To UNSUBSCRIBE From Sprint's "SPRINTFREEMSG" Spam Text Messages!

Due to the reaction in another forum, I probably should add the following...

WARNING: After using this website, you WILL receive several text messages (approximately 2-5) confirming your opt-out status! DO NOT FREAK OUT!!! This is normal! If you are in a location in which it is NOT appropriate to receive text messages (such as work), then you may want to use this website at a later time when receiving text messages is OK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Administrator

City: small town
State/Province: TX
Referrals:
Juan M is an unknown quantity at this point
Main Cell Phone Carrier: AT&T
Main Phone: Samsung A517
Default Re: TIP: How To UNSUBSCRIBE From Sprint's "SPRINTFREEMSG" Spam Text Messages!

Great post - this is something that gets asked many times.