PDA

View Full Version : Any of us bold enough to try Hotspot @Home?

Scooby214
06-27-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm quite excited to try the Hotspot @Home with the Nokia 6086, but I am a bit cautious, as I will have to buy a router and phone. Do any of you think you will try the Hotspot @Home service anytime soon?

I hear that the router will be free after rebate, so in the end, I'll only be out the $117 for the cost of the phone.

Getting a router free after rebate sounds nice, but does anyone have a recommendation on which router to get? The website shows a D-Link router and a Linksys router.

redwildebeast
06-27-2007, 03:30 PM
i've already tried it out. t-mo hooked up the owners of my stores with it bout 3 days ago. its pretty cool but i wont be using it till there is a windows mobile phone that can use the service.

darkjedi
06-27-2007, 03:55 PM
We have been open since 10 am and not a single store in my district, the number 2 district in the entire midwest has sold a single hotspot router or handset. Pretty pathetic.

anfrey
06-27-2007, 04:09 PM
i love my pearl too much to switch to another phone right now.

redwildebeast
06-27-2007, 04:11 PM
We have been open since 10 am and not a single store in my district, the number 2 district in the entire midwest has sold a single hotspot router or handset. Pretty pathetic.

dont plan on selling that many till the word of it gets out to the genaral public. damn t-mo advertising dept.

Scooby214
06-27-2007, 05:56 PM
I have seen absolutely no advertising for it. It's not even an evident feature of T-Mobile.com's homepage.

Of course, we don't have any "robe" stores here in oklahoma, so I can't get a free router or a free year of hotspot @home service.

darkjedi
06-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Red I think that the general public isn't aware of it but those who are tech savvy, forum readers or the like are very likely to have been made aware of this this week. These people I have mentioned are early adopters and are very likely to take advantage of new and exciting innovative features from their respective wireless companies.

The unfortunate thing is that the handset selection sucks. I mean it really sucks.

Alex
06-27-2007, 06:27 PM
The unfortunate thing is that the handset selection sucks. I mean it really sucks.

This is unfortunate. I don't understand why certain companies will hype up a product and then leave out critical features that would make it the best product on the market. Instead, they put out a product that is great in some areas and crappy in others. They really like to test my decision-making skills.

Scooby214
06-27-2007, 07:19 PM
I'll agree with you on the phone selection, though I think the 6808 may suit my needs okay. It has a weak camera, but it does have FM radio and music player, with stereo bluetooth capability. While the screens look small, they will look bigger than my 6030's screen. I wish it would be able to browse standard web pages, but I expect that Opera Mini won't work with it. If I bite the bullet and get the phone, I'll certainly try downloading Opera Mini, though I'll be mighty surprised if it can access the network. I've got a birthday coming up in a few weeks, so this may be my birthday present.

greenblood
06-27-2007, 09:22 PM
I had a chance to borrow 6086 and tried with my home LAN
it works pretty well, but battery.....:(

Scooby214
06-27-2007, 09:24 PM
I had a chance to borrow 6086 and tried with my home LAN
it works pretty well, but battery.....:(
Had the borrowed 6086 been used for long? Do you think the battery was broken in? I'm hoping to have the success that the reviewer on Phonescoop had. I need it to at least last through the day.

Do you think it would last throughout the day? (When not talking continuously...)

CSI_Nut
06-27-2007, 10:45 PM

I will come buy one from you when T-Mobile works up a package for prepaid customers!

darkjedi
06-27-2007, 11:14 PM
I will come buy one from you when T-Mobile works up a package for prepaid customers!

I'm not holding my breath for this to a success until more devices are launched, nevermind prepaid services. This was marketed wrong, deployed wrong and launched wrong.

kcladygemini
06-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Sound too good to be true? Probably is. Depending on where you live anyway. HS@H isn't heard about or seen from T-Mobile because it isn't openly available yet and has no set date as to when it will. For the time being it's only offered in test markets, randomly selected. What happens from there depends mainly on the responses received from it.

peestandingup
06-28-2007, 03:07 AM
I got hooked up with the Nokia 6086 today by a nice guy at my local store here in DC. Here are some things I've learned so far about this new service.

The phone WILL work without adding the actual add-on to your account. It will still take the minutes out of your regular plan minutes though, but if you live in a place that gets spotty coverage, this will help A LOT. So look at it like a free gigantic cell booster for your phone if you already have enough minutes on your regular plan.

The phone can only see 802.11b or 802.11g networks. It wont see the new 802.11n specification, but I didnt expect it to, as N is still very new. So, if you have an N router, set it to at least do 802.11g/802.11n instead of all N.

To do the $10 add-on, your plan MUST be at least $40 or higher. We tried to add it to the lowest $30 individual plan & it wouldnt take, so the computer is smart & will override it.

I didnt see the need to get the T-Mobile router, but my Apple Airport Extreme router has been working great with the service.

The phone will ONLY automatically switch to a hotspot you've setup on the phone previously. That means it wont just see an open network out in public & jump on it. It can, but you have to scan for hotspots then create a profile for the network first, then from there on out it will automatically connect to it. T-Mobile HotSpots are already setup to connect automatically as they all use the same settings.

Switching back & forth between WiFi & cell towers during the same call has been seamless so far.

The phone WILL NOT use your WiFi connection for its data, which is a bummer. I cant understand why they wouldnt allow this, it would be less strain on their network. Maybe some of the future smartphones will add this feature.

Thats about all I have for now. The Nokia 6086 is actually a very well built phone for the price & is pretty attractive. The finish is nice & smooth & sorta looks like its brushed metal. The call quality has been good as well. The camera sucks, so dont be surprised when you see the quality.

If you like to talk a lot on the phone to more than just your 5 MyFavs contacts
& wanna drop your landline, then for a measly $10, I think the service is well worth it. If you just need a stronger signal, then skip the add-on & just get the phone. Id skip the T-Mobile router all together.

One more thing. I have the $5.99 web plan & they have locked down things even more with this new phone. Opera mini wont work & neither will a lot of other java apps. So, you're stuck using the built in browser for pretty much everything. Only thing I saw that didnt work on it was youtube mobile, but thats not a surprise.

Scooby214
06-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the info about the browser. This is not a surprise. My biggest concern right now is the battery life. I need the battery to be able to last all day. I don't mind charging nightly, but it would be a hassle to have to charge during the day.

Please keep us updated as you continue to use the service and phone.

chokaay
06-28-2007, 01:06 PM
Hey pee (that just doesn't sound right... :rolleyes:), can you confirm the range that you can make a WiFi call from that WOULDN'T come out of your Anytime Minutes? People have posted a bunch of distances varying from 1 mile to 15 miles, but I haven't heard/read anything 100% solid yet.

And also will @Home users be able to take their router to another country and make Unlimited Calls from it too?

Thanks! :D

redwildebeast
06-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Sound too good to be true? Probably is. Depending on where you live anyway. HS@H isn't heard about or seen from T-Mobile because it isn't openly available yet and has no set date as to when it will. For the time being it's only offered in test markets, randomly selected. What happens from there depends mainly on the responses received from it.

ummmmm it launched nationwide yesterday.

dsigma6
06-28-2007, 02:01 PM
If I was a hermit, this service would be awesome! Too bad I already have a landline...

Scooby214
06-28-2007, 02:15 PM
If battery life isn't too bad, I may try it out with the thought of possibly getting rid of my landline. I never use it anyway. I do have DSL, so that may make an additional hurdle to jump through.

peestandingup
06-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the info about the browser. This is not a surprise. My biggest concern right now is the battery life. I need the battery to be able to last all day. I don't mind charging nightly, but it would be a hassle to have to charge during the day.

Please keep us updated as you continue to use the service and phone.
You're welcome. My battery is still kickin after using it all day yesterday/today on my WiFi network, browsing & just playing around with the phone. The meter is just down like 1 or 2 bars, so its still got a long way to go. I just hope the meter is accurate.

Hey pee (that just doesn't sound right... :rolleyes:), can you confirm the range that you can make a WiFi call from that WOULDN'T come out of your Anytime Minutes? People have posted a bunch of distances varying from 1 mile to 15 miles, but I haven't heard/read anything 100% solid yet.

And also will @Home users be able to take their router to another country and make Unlimited Calls from it too?
No, its DEF not measured in miles. Its just like with your laptop, it only goes so far. The range of the phone itself is pretty good, but it mostly depends on your router & if you got the transmit power/multi-cast rate cranked up all the way on your router (which I do). I walked all the way down my hallway out of my apt (about 6 doors down) & my phone was still on my network.

redwildebeast
06-28-2007, 04:10 PM
anyone got confirmation that if you start the call from the router then leave and switch to towers that it will still be counted as unlimited??

darkjedi
06-28-2007, 04:29 PM
anyone got confirmation that if you start the call from the router then leave and switch to towers that it will still be counted as unlimited??

On my conference call today that question came up and while distance wasn't discussed it was stated that after a certain point it drops into the gsm bucket minutes. I'll try and get you confirmation of distance, since I know i've tossed out random numbers before I'm really interested in exact distance!

I'll work on this red and get an answer as soon as possible.

Scooby214
06-28-2007, 06:27 PM
You're welcome. My battery is still kickin after using it all day yesterday/today on my WiFi network, browsing & just playing around with the phone. The meter is just down like 1 or 2 bars, so its still got a long way to go. I just hope the meter is accurate.
Thanks for the battery update. That has been my main concern, and you have put it to ease. Now, if I can just get over to my local store before they sell out. ;)