PDA

View Full Version : who increases the network/computer security after talking ad disaster?

greenblood
06-18-2007, 08:56 PM
I read TONS of complaining about talking ad on another forum:confused:
I also experience same problem, but as soon as I caught that, I check the source of the talking ad, and setup security to block
after that, peace of mind assured;)

chokaay
06-18-2007, 10:04 PM
I read TONS of complaining about talking ad on another forum:confused:
I also experience same problem, but as soon as I caught that, I check the source of the talking ad, and setup security to block
after that, peace of mind assured;)

Maybe you could "share" with us the source so that others could block it also (if our browsers are able to do that). That is a MAJOR annoyance on the "other" forum. ;)

greenblood
06-18-2007, 10:24 PM
there you go
adbrite.com
yieldmanager.com
tribalfusion.com (unblockable popups)
googlesyndication.com (embedded text)
there should be more, but I am just lazy to check the router settings

CSI_Nut
06-18-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm using Firefox portable running on a USB drive, and I don't recognize the talking ad to which you refer at all. Wish I knew what I was doing right, LOL! Although I must confess that I accidentally had my speakers turned off for about 2 months, and thought they were broken. Hubby got frustrated enough to go in and discover that they were on the mute setting, LOL! Even since he "fixed" them though, I've never heard a talking ad at the "other place...."

Ellen
06-18-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm using Firefox portable running on a USB drive, and I don't recognize the talking ad to which you refer at all. Wish I knew what I was doing right, LOL! Although I must confess that I accidentally had my speakers turned off for about 2 months, and thought they were broken. Hubby got frustrated enough to go in and discover that they were on the mute setting, LOL! Even since he "fixed" them though, I've never heard a talking ad at the "other place...."

I've heard it too, and I'm using IE. Most of the time I just keep my speakers turned off when I'm over there.

greenblood
06-18-2007, 11:08 PM
I've heard it too, and I'm using IE. Most of the time I just keep my speakers turned off when I'm over there.

you can do it with IE too!!!
find security settings->resticted sites, make sure you use wildcard on the front
*.iloveyou.com
then the annoying banners.....bye bye
but I'd leave not-so-disturbing ad banner alone, to give the ad maker which banner is acceptable

Ellen
06-18-2007, 11:10 PM
find security settings->resticted sites, make sure you use wildcard on the front
*.iloveyou.com
but I'd leave not-so-disturbing ad banner alone, to give the ad maker which banner is acceptable

Hey, thanks for the tip greenblood. :cool:

chokaay
06-18-2007, 11:39 PM

Yeah! Thanks! I'll try that from now on... :)

djdanska
06-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Talking ads' are enough for me to not visit a site. If it wasn't for adblock, i would not even bother visiting Ho... whatever.

Ellen
06-19-2007, 07:45 AM
Talking ads' are enough for me to not visit a site. If it wasn't for adblock, i would not even bother visiting Ho... whatever.

I find it to be rather amusing reading some of the threads in which the members on that site ask the Mods to get them ads to stop, and the mods come back with "what talking ads?" They know from the many complaints they receive, that these ads do exist.....IMO it's done to push members to sign up for a premium membership and nothing more. :rolleyes:

greenblood
06-19-2007, 08:46 AM

without adblock, FF has less security due to lack of site access control

djdanska
06-19-2007, 02:45 PM
I find it to be rather amusing reading some of the threads in which the members on that site ask the Mods to get them ads to stop, and the mods come back with "what talking ads?" They know from the many complaints they receive, that these ads do exist.....IMO it's done to push members to sign up for a premium membership and nothing more. :rolleyes:And it worked. :rolleyes:

Scooby214
06-19-2007, 05:54 PM
*.iloveyou.com
Do I need to put the wildcard on the front of all restricted sites?

EDIT: Nevermind. When I went back into my restricted sites, IE had already put in the wildcard on each restricted site.

Thanks for the great tip!

milkbone98
06-19-2007, 10:03 PM
I dont use AdBlock, but I do use NoScript, never have problems there or anywhere else for that matter.

greenblood
06-19-2007, 10:25 PM
And it worked. :rolleyes:

it may be for the ppls don't know about security
for the users with some experience, or got hit by virus/worm/adware, they're pretty aware of that, and try to put more security to avoid these banners

djdanska
06-20-2007, 12:13 AM
I know security. I really like the theme. Bout it. I use adblock + easylist and everything.

Ellen
06-20-2007, 12:20 AM
And it worked. :rolleyes:

I feel sorry for the members who were tricked into a premium membership this way, because I know they won't be receiving anything other than a custom avatar, and ad block.

djdanska
06-20-2007, 01:34 AM
I feel sorry for the members who were tricked into a premium membership this way, because I know they won't be receiving anything other than a custom avatar, and ad block.I do like the site. And at the time, i did want to support it. Just like i paid to support dslreports.com.