If you think T-Mobile will launch one day a Palm phone, specially the Palm Pre.. forget about it.. But here is how you can use the Pre without switching to Sprint. Palm is going to release soon the new Unlock GSM version of its new phone, The Palm Pre.
The bad news starts with the keyboard. This version of the Pre has the QWERTZ keyboard layout that is preferred in Germany. However, the only difference is that the Z and Y keys are swapped. Another bad news, the lack of 3G ( for T-Mobile), but not for AT&T (according with the manual), if you get the American Version.
And the selling price is high: $715. Still, buying it does not require signing a voice or data contract.
The device does not have any carrier branding on it.
eXpansys has already shipped its first shipment of unlocked Palm Pre units, but is expecting a second one in soon.
Those who would like to order one can do so from the eXpansys USA website.
- High-speed connectivity ( UMTS HSDPA, 850/1900 or 900/2100)
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g(6)
- Integrated GPS(7)
- Large 3.1-inch touch screen with a vibrant 24-bit color 320×480 resolution HVGA display
- Gesture area, which enables simple, intuitive gestures for navigation
- Slide-out QWERTY keyboard
- Email, including Outlook EAS (for access to corporate Microsoft Exchange servers), as well as personal email support (POP3, IMAP)
- Robust messaging support (IM, SMS and MMS capabilities)(4)
- High-performance, desktop-class web browser
- Great multimedia experience and performance (pictures, video playback, music), featuring a 3-megapixel camera with LED flash and extended depth of field, and a standard 3.5mm headset jack
- Bluetooth® 2.1 + EDR with A2DP stereo Bluetooth support
- 8GB of internal user storage (~7.4GB user available)
- USB mass storage mode
- MicroUSB connector with USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
- Proximity sensor, which automatically disables the touch screen and turns off the display whenever you put the phone up to your ear
- Light sensor, which dims the display if the ambient light is dark, such as at night or in a movie theater, to reduce power usage
- Accelerometer, which automatically orients web pages and photos to your perspective
- Ringer switch, which easily silences the device with one touch
- Removable, rechargeable battery
- Dimensions: 59.57mm (W) x 100.53mm (L, closed) x 16.95mm (D) [2.35 inches (W) x 3.96 inches (L, closed) x 0.67 inches (D)]
- Weight: ~135 grams [4.76 ounces]